Friday, July 3

5 Fandom Friday - Favorite Aliens!


5 Fandom Friday is a weekly geeky posting party hosted by The Nerdy Girlie and Super Space Chick. You can see the upcoming prompts here at the master post. This week's is 5 Favorite Aliens, and you can probably already predict which fandoms mine are from.



Master Yoda (Star Wars) - I'm fascinated by Joseph Campbell's literary theory of the hero's journey, and one main component of stories that follow the monomyth is meeting with a mentor or guardian. In the original Star Wars movies, Luke's original mentor is Obi-Wan (he fills the Gandalf/Dumbledore role), and Yoda is introduced in The Empire Strikes Back as more of a trickster mentor (Luke think's he's just some crazy old green dude at first). As a kid, I thought Yoda was adorable and it was not lost on me that he was voiced by Frank Oz, who was also Grover on Sesame Street. I do a little Yoda minilesson at school when we go over subject-verb agreement.





Leeloo Dallas (The Fifth Element) - This whole movie makes more sense when you learn that it's technically French and that Luc Besson started writing it when he was 16. I'm not sure if Leeloo actually counts as an alien, since she's an element, but she was delivered to Earth by aliens so I'm counting her. The scene where she learns how corrupt humanity is and cries that one sad little tear gets me every time.




Cress (The Lunar Chronicles) - Does someone born on the moon count as an alien? I'm counting Cress because she is so very adorable. Marissa Meyer's take on Rapunzel, Cress is an expert computer hacker who has spent her youth trapped in a satellite orbiting the Earth in order to gain intelligence. Despite the shady intentions of her overseer, she falls in love with Earth and dreams of being the damsel in her own fairytale. She's innocent, naive, and loyal and I just want to wrap her up in a blanket and feed her noodle soup.



Spock (Star Trek) - I haven't seen many episodes of classic Star Trek; it was J.J. Abrams taking the helm that piqued my interest, and I have loved both of the new Trek films, particularly Zachary Quinto as Spock. I think the best thing the films have done is take the character who represents pure logic and make him the true heart of the Enterprise.



Groot (Guardians of the Galaxy) - He's fiercely protective, loyal to a fault, and loves to dance. Vin Diesel says playing Groot helped him mourn Paul Walker's death in a healthy way. AND he's an INFJ. What's not to love?


Which of your favorite alien characters should be added to the list?

2 comments:

  1. I love Yoda too! I'm actually planning on dressing up my daughter as him for her first Halloween. Of course haven't actually bought the costume yet, but at least I still have some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's going to be so cute! I know you'll post pics :)

      Delete