Friday, August 1

My August Favorites

August Favorites

1. Popsicles - I love frozen treats and ice cream in the summer, but I'm also trying to stay healthy, so my solution this year has been to make my own.  One day, I had made a green smoothie and the recipe made 2 servings.  I put one in my glass and poured the rest into my ice pop mold - it worked great!  

2. Flamingos - At my college roommate's Alice in Wonderland themed bridal shower, these cute flamingos were hanging out around the fireplace and I thought they were so cute.  Last month the hot print was pineapples, but I've moved on to these guys.

3. "Word Crimes" - If you've been living under a rock, you may not have seen Weird Al's parody of "Blurred Lines," and you need to remedy that situation immediately.  As an English teacher, I love this so, so very much.



4. OPI nail polish in "Keeping Suzi at Bay" - My mother in law and I got pedicures together on vacation, and I think this is the longest time I've kept the same color on!  I love this navy shade -  it's a little out of my comfort zone for summer, but I've gotten tons of compliments.

5. Getting letters in the mail - Thanks to my friend Z for making my day recently - I'd almost forgotten how much I love snail mail.

6. Google Smarty Pins Game - I love whatever developer at Google got the bright idea to turn Google Maps into a geography trivia game.  In this game, the goal is to drop a pin in the most precise location possible to answer a trivia question.  You lose miles based on how far away incorrect answers are, and the game ends when you run out of miles.

7. My kettlebell - I've been doing yoga and dance and wanted to add some strength-building activities to my routine, so I dusted off my old kettlebell.  There are tons of kettlebell workouts online and I feel like I get more out of swinging the kettlebell than lifting individual barbells.

8. Chia seed pudding - I decided to see what the chia seed fuss was all about when I saw this recipe on the FitSugar flat-belly challenge.  I love breakfasts that can be prepped the night before, and it was cool to see what was a weird soup the night before become a solid pudding.  I used coconut-almond milk and topped my pudding with diced peaches and slivered almonds, and the recipe above made two servings.

9. Lemon water - Another Internet tip I've been trying is drinking hot lemon water first thing in the morning.  In theory, it balances the body's pH level and helps flush toxins.  I'm not sure if it's actually having an effect but it makes me feel like I'm doing something good for myself.  I also made a pitcher of detox water with cucumber, lemon, and mint and having a little flavor helps me drink more H2O during the day.  I've almost broken my soda habit!



The Grits Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment