Friday, April 19

Susan G. Komen 5K Race for the Cure Recap


I've been writing about my health goals on this blog for a while, and recently I've added a new component to my exercise: walking... and I'm talking long-distance walking!  My best friend's mother, Sonja, was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and a bunch of her friends and family members signed up to do the Susan G. Komen 5K Walk for the Cure, including Mr. Q and me.  I have done 5K walks before; I walked for the American Heart Association in college and for St. Jude's last year.  However, as out of shape as I am I was worried that I wasn't ready for a 5K walk.

Photo from WDBJ7

Mr. Q has been helping me "train" for the Susan G. Komen 5K by walking around our hometown.  We've designed a few different routes with longer and longer distances until I could walk a 5K without whining too much!

Photo from WDBJ7

Our team made it into the local news station's photo gallery!  There's Sonja, who had her lumpectomy the THURSDAY BEFORE THE RACE and participated with us on the far left.  She is amazing - no pain meds at all, sixteen stitches, and she was in a great mood!  The guy in front of me throwing up the "rock on" signs is of course my amazing husband and that's my BFF Breeze throwing up a fist-pump.  We scored those sweet bandanas from Ford's "Warriors in Pink" booth.


Coordinator C and I crossing the finish line...

And our survivor, Sonja, with her flower for finishing the race!

I have actually enjoyed getting into a walking regimen a lot more than I thought I would, although it hasn't been without complaints about sore feet and hips.  I had a great time at the 5K walking with my husband and friends, especially when the course overlapped with the beautiful Roanoke River Greenway.  I've already picked out my next 5K walk in May and I hope to add some running into my practice routine!

Linking up with Kelly's Korner!

No comments:

Post a Comment