Tuesday, February 26

Cooking: "Gold Rush" inspired Pay Dirt Cupcakes

My husband and his friends have been pretty much obsessed with Gold Rush: Alaska since the first season, and for the first two seasons I basically mocked them for it.  I was pretty sure they were just watching a grown-up version of Bob the Builder to see bulldozers at work.  I could not see the allure of a show about gold miners fighting the elements, time, and each other for what would amount to a few glass jars of shiny flakes.  Somehow, this season, I've gotten sucked in.  It's already on my television every Friday night, so I might as well give it a try, I thought.  What I learned this season is that Gold Rush is really a show about relationships:  the relationship between 19-year-old Parker and his mentor and grandpa, John; the tension-filled relationship between Dustin Hurt and his dad, Dakota Fred; and the relationship between the Turin/Hoffman crews who had to work together to meet their goal.

"Gold Rush" inspired Pay Dirt Cupcakes - Beyond the Aisle

So when Mr. Q sent me a text last Friday afternoon (a snow day off work for me) that said, "Gold Rush finale party tonight?"  I decided to make it a real party.  Which, for me, means cupcakes.  And guests.  And food.  But mostly cupcakes.

"Gold Rush" inspired Pay Dirt Cupcakes - Beyond the Aisle

I was pretty lazy with these because I already knew exactly how I wanted to decorate them.  I used a boxed mix for the cupcakes themselves, then crushed a row of Oreos and stirred 2/3 of the crumbs into a container of Betty Crocker Whipped chocolate frosting.  After spreading the frosting, I added the big Oreo chunks and GOLD SPRINKLES!  We've hit the motherlode!

"Gold Rush" inspired Pay Dirt Cupcakes - Beyond the Aisle

For dinner, we served seasoned turkey burgers and rosemary sweet potatoes.  We had a few friends over, including my friend C who had never even heard of Gold Rush yet caught on immediately that it is less about the bulldozers and more about the DRAMA, and we all had a great night.

Linking Up!

8 comments:

  1. Looks Yummy!!
    Great job Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so easy and SO delicious! :)

    toddlindsey.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Sounds like a show I need to check out :). Those cupcakes look soooo good.

    I have a weekend Link party if you'd care to join:
    http://www.bobijensen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bobi, I'll be sure to stop by your linky party!

      Delete
  4. I love a party that's all about the cupcakes! These look amazing!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly - I think MOST of my parties are all about the cupcakes. I was telling Mr. Q that we need small children so I can plan more cool cupcakes because adults just aren't as impressed as children!

      Delete