Sunday, January 27

sunday social: getting deep...


Sunday Social

What is your ideal way to relax?

In my fleece pajamas and slippers, with a good book and a cup of tea.

Where is your favorite place to be?

I can't pick just one!  In terms of everyday places, my classroom.  That probably sounds really cheesy, but I spend more time there than in my actual house and I've made it my happy place.  I feel a burst of energy when I come in every morning and see student work on the walls, bright colors, and shelves covered with books, and I feel like it's showtime every day when students start to fill the hallways.  I am a big nerd and absolutely love my job.

Another place I love to be is the summer camp where I volunteer, where I worked for three summers and attended as a camper and teen counselor since the age of nine.  I have met a lot of my best friends in the world there, realized that I wanted to work with kids for the rest of my life, and found my confidence to try a lot of new things and be more outgoing.  On top of that, it's on a beautiful lake where I would be happy to spend all day floating in a kayak!  It's my happy place and my home away from home.


In terms of anywhere-in-the-world places, no place makes me feel quite so calm and relaxed as the Outer Banks of North Carolina - there's a reason Nicholas Sparks sets almost all his books there!

Who do you consider your biggest role model?

My mother.  I've written here a lot about how much she means to me.

What does your life look like in 3 years?

I would like for Mr. Q and I to own our own home (there's a picture of my dream house at that link - can you find it?) - close enough to still have easy commutes to work, but with a little bit of land and space to breathe.  Health-wise, I hope to have a regular exercise routine of some sort and be less prone to stress eating.  I want to have kicked my PCOS to the curb by then so that I can work on starting a family!  At work I'd like to be serving in a mentoring role either for new teachers or student teachers.  I'd also like to have a few different manuscripts for young adult novels ready to shop around to literary agents!

If you could go back and change one decision what would it be?

Sometimes, I wish I'd taken the elementary teaching job offer I got from New York City Department of Education, and had that adventure, but usually I'm glad I got a job in a small-town southwest Virginia middle school and started my adult life here instead.  I try to live my life without regrets as much as possible.

What is your biggest accomplishment in life thus far?

Earning my Master's of Teaching Degree in Education from the University of Virginia.  I was the first person in my family to go to a four-year college, so earning an advanced degree was an extra big deal.  Being a teacher was my dream since first grade and I never stopped working for it.

4 comments:

  1. I have PCOS too and I am hopeful that one day I will have some babies. I am sure you will too:-) The research I started doing is how I started my blog. There is so much information out there! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candice! My doctors think that if I lose some weight I should be all set for babies, and I'm not in a huge hurry to be a mama yet anyway. It's been a strange season for me - I went to the doctor to find out I was tired all the time and ended up finding out all about PCOS. Thank goodness for all of the information available on the Internet and all of the inspiring stories from other women.

      Delete
  2. I was just diagnosed with PCOS also. I have one child but we have been trying for another for quite sometime. The whole PCOS is still sinking in for me but I have found an amazing doctor with a game plan!
    Stopping by from the link up and now following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I am glad that your doctor is helping you through your PCOS. Both of my doctors have been really positive and keep reminding that PCOS is actually quite common even though it's not something a lot of women talk about. My mom and I think that she probably had it too and was just never diagnosed.

      Delete